Our history begins in 1450, with the start of the castle’s construction. The first property deed that was found however is dated from 1545. Back then, the building was a simple manor owned by Robert Bugy, an alderman of the town of Blois, whose family was ennobled after his death at the end of the 16th century and inherited the duties of king’s squires, salt granaries controllers and tax collectors. His descendants then expanded and embellished the manor, making it a little castle.
The estate was sold for the first time in 1732 by the last lady of Bugy to the Pelluys, a family of notables from Blois. Their daughter Gabrielle, whose dowry consisted of the domain of Troussay, married the knight Christophe de Réméon, descendant of a companion of Henri IV. In 1787, the couple’s youngest son married Marie de la Saussaye. This union gave no children, and in 1828 Marie’s nephew Louis de la Saussaye inherited the domain.
Louis de la Saussaye was a historian of the castles of the Loire Valley and, like his famous friend Prosper Mérimée, a pioneer in the field of heritage conservation. With the help of his friend, the architect Jules de La Morandière, he made of Troussay an architectural essay and a jewel of Sologne. He restored the castle and decorated it with ancient items from surrounding castles left in ruins, creating the harmonious combination we can admire today.
In 1900, the descendants of Louis de la Saussaye sold the domain to Count Maurice Delamarre de Monchaux for his wife Isore Hurault de Vibraye, whose family lived in Cheverny. The castle remains in their family and is still inhabited nowadays by their descendant, Isaure de Sainte Marie.